60311 Frankfurt am Main [zu Google Maps]
The Judengasse Museum is located in the municipal utility building complex at Kurt Schumacherstrasse 10. In 1985 Swiss architect Ernst Gisel was commissioned to create a new office and public service building on the site of the former Jewish ghetto.1 The 140 m long arcaded front is dominated by a sweepingly curved crest line.2 During the process of excavation miscellaneous foundation walls and remnants of the Judengasse were uncovered. In the wake of fierce civil protests, the city council decided to integrate the relics into the municipal utility building complex. The Judengasse Museum was opened in 1992 as an annex of the Jewish Museum. Along with five house foundations, two mikvehs (ritual baths), two wells and a canal, partially dating back to the 15th century, were reconstructed. The five-century history of the Judengasse is vividly documented in a multifaceted, 500 sq. m exhibition area on two levels. Temporary exhibitions on a variety of Jewish subjects take place regularly in the Börnegalerie. A databank contains detailed information on the Judengasse and its inhabitants. On November 9, 2003 the museum opened its Oskar und Emilie Schindler Learning Center. Oskar Schindler, who lived in Frankfurt from 1958 until his death in 1974, saved the lives of more than 1200 Jews.